Come on in...

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Change of plans...no Mali today.

Psych. Just kidding.

I should be in Mali right now. Should be. But instead I am at home, in Burkina.

Because as it turns out, after waiting at the airport for over four hours, being told continually to wait and be patient and they would be checking in the Air Senegal flight soon, having an embassy expeditor come to investigate why they were not letting us check in and getting no answers from the staff and not being able to get in touch with any Air Senegal employees because their office was closed, to having Isaak call priceline to check on our flight and being told repeatedly that it was "confirmed", then having Kate call the Air Senegal office in NYC to also be told our flight was "confirmed", to then having Kate drive to the airport in Bamako and speak with an Air Seng. staff member in person to find out what the heck happened to our airplane....

....we were finally told that Air Senegal discontinued flights to Mali over a month ago.

Oh, I'm sorry. Come again? You say what now? There was no flight? Like, ever?

Okay....here's my question Africa.....why. the. heck are you still posting and booking flights that don't exist?!!??!

Can somebody tell me please, because I would really like to know that! I mean, how did no one know that?!

Kate was told by an employee in Bamako that Air Senegal had a meeting today and decided to resume flights to Mali as of Monday. So there is a chance I could get on a flight Monday. But lets be real here....this is Africa. They are never on time. For anything. Ever. "On our way" means showing up six hours later, or the next day. So saying that they decided to resume flights on Monday could very well mean on a Monday two months from now.

If I can't make it to Mali I am going to be mega ticked.

So as it stands....Africa wins, for today.

*but if I do miraculously get on that Monday flight, I have every intention of flipping you the bird as I take off for Mali, just so we're clear.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

praying something works out for you and joanna today. love ya