Come on in...

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Today

Today was one of those days.

One of those days that had me and Isaak looking at each other wondering who replaced our kids with demon spawn versions of themselves.

It was so weird.

I blame it on, oh I don't know...the rain maybe. Or maybe kids just act like this sometimes. I'm going with the second one.

My kids act like this sometimes. Usually, it's just not all of them at once. But today, today was weird.

Today was filled with the most spontaneous eruptions. At one point, during dinner, me and Isaak had to ask one of the girls to leave the table to compose herself, and as soon as she was around the corner we started laughing. The whole day was like that. The kids, one after the other would spontaneously erupt and me and Isaak would just look at each other and shake our heads in utter bewilderment and then just laugh.

Sometimes, you just have to laugh. I'm glad to have a husband that I can laugh with when our kids are acting like a bunch of crazies.

I am happy that we have made it to a point where we can laugh instead of crumble. That we have made it through the fog of the last three months stronger than before we started. More at ease. These past few months after bringing Steven home have been a time of huge adjustments for our family. There was not a lot of laughter between me and Isaak for a while. It was mostly filled with tears. Tears from being completely overwhelmed and out of our element. Tears from exhaustion. Tears from seeing our kids struggle with the changes. Tears from our own inadequacy.

But, we've made it through the fog. And instead of crying we can laugh again. We know who we are again. We know who our family is. Somedays are still really hard, like today. But in the midst of the crazy there was laughter. And absolute peace. I thank God today for the laughter. For the spontaneity. For His peace that perfectly reigned even in the chaos. For the rain that filled my yard with mud so my kids could play outside getting filthy. I am thankful today for our leftovers from last nights meal so I didn't have to cook. I am thankful for our impromptu Hot Wheels race in the dining room. For building train tracks. For chasing. For the discipline to be consistent in our parenting even if it's hard. For seeing me and Isaak work as a team.

Today I am thankful that even in the midst of the kids crazy cringe worthy behavior at times...there was laughter, and joy, and peace.

We are making it. In Him we have victory to overcome. We can do hard things....hallelujah through His strength we can do hard things, and thrive while we do them.