Come on in...

Monday, April 22, 2013

The sweetest sound

I stand in my kitchen at 6:30am baking bread and listening to the rain come down harder and harder.
Like a drum gaining tempo. The rain gathers strength and comes down stronger and stronger until that is all I can hear.

Isaak opens up the windows. They creak after months of being closed to keep out the heat and dirt.

But now as I stand kneading the bread, listneing to the rain, I can feel the cool wind swirl around my face, I can smell the smell of freshness. I hear the thunder crackle.

These are the smells I love. These are the sounds I love to hear.

Since I was a little girl, rain storms have been my most favorite thing. My dad would open up our front door and keep the screen closed so that we could listen and enjoy the rain.

The thunder I never found menacing. The lighting I found intriguing. The rain would lull me to sleep.

In Nebraska we experienced some of the strongest storms of my life. There we many days and nights where we would be hunkered down, taking cover in a neighbors basement or huddled under the stairs. The danger very real. Destruction from tornadoes close by.

But even in the midst of the threat these storms posed....it could not block the excitement. The sirens could not drown out my love for this weather.

My love for rain and storms....it is a part of me. It makes my spirit light. It makes my heart beat with a deep joy for my Maker.

There is one sound that I will never grow weary of for as long as I live...and that is the deafening sound of the rains pounding down onto my roof.

This morning, that is the sweetest sound.

2 comments:

Marcie said...

I read your lovely post and my mind started to drift...memories of Sebastian and Sterling donned in swimwear, playing in the gutter, while it showered and thundered in North Augusta, they had so much fun. We too love the sound of rain.

Really missing all of you. Love the pics and the posts. Keep 'em coming!

Bekah Boo said...

yes.
yes.
i have known this of you since i have known you :)
and you've woven this into the girls too...at least the loving rain part :)

So, is it rainy season now?!